Dynamics Processor with Attitude!
To request a free 30-day demo, click HERE
If interested in purchasing, come on back to this page!
Your Omnipressor Loves You…
Introduced in the early 1970s, the Omnipressor® was the first dynamics effects processor of any kind. Originally invented by Eventide's founder, Richard Factor (and later redesigned for production by John Paul), the Omnipresssor made a host of effects possible. It featured variable control of all aspects of dynamic modification. It also introduced the notion of the 'side chain' and foretold techniques that today we take for granted like 'look ahead' processing.
The Omnipressor plug-in is a faithful emulation of the "black-face" unit and is popular among some of the world's leading producers and engineers as a dynamics-modifier with variable expressive controls of all aspects of a signal's dynamics. The Function control allows you to set compression and expansion ratios over a wide, continuous range from extreme expansion to infinite compression and beyond - dynamic reversal which reverses a sound’s envelope, making loud sounds quiet and quiet sounds loud.
One of our first customers was a young Brian May, lead guitarist of Queen. With the Omnipressor in his rig, his sound was never the same again.
- Dynamics processing for creating otherwordly sounds
- Variable control of attack and release time
- Variable control of maximum gain and maximum attenuation
- Function control sets ratio over a continuous range from extreme expansion to infinite compression and beyond to dynamic reversal
- Gating: Set a threshhold and signals whose amplitudes fall below the threshhold value are 'squooshed'
- Expansion: Widen a signal's dynamic range. Loud gets louder, soft gets softer
- Compression: Variable control of compression ratio
- Infinite compression: Obliterates a signal's dynamics - everything comes out at the same level
- Limiting: Versatile, fast limiter
- Dynamic Reversal: First of its kind. Soft signals come out loud, loud signals come out soft. Simulates tape reversal
- Intuitive interface makes it simple to operate with the use of a function dial
- Dozens of presets to help you explore the unique and inspirational sounds of the tool used on countless hit records
Original Data Sheet - 1974
"Some of the unusual capabilities of the unit are illustrated in the graph below."
Artists Using Omnipressor
Beastie Boys, Phoenix, Gogol Bordello, Cat Power
U2, Elton John
Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr.
Patti Smith, St. Vincent, Boardwalk Empire
Bowie, T. Rex
Pulsating Waves, Plugin Connection
Buda & Grandz
Wyclef, Dave East, Meek Mill, G-Unit, The Lox
Chris & Cosey, Throbbing Gristle
Enrico De Paoli
David Bowie, Holy Holy, Esperanza Spalding
Jon Hammond Band, BCTD, Cymbalic Encounters
Jordi Martinez Guals
Heart, Weezer, Ok Go, Morrissey
Twenty One Pilots, Kelly Clarkson, Megadeth
Kittie, Face To Face, DMX, Woods of Ypres, Adam Wendler
Omnipressor is a compressor and expander/gate dynamics plug-in that goes about the business of compression in a very aggressive and shouty way. If you are looking for a subtle transparent compression then look somewhere else, if you want a compressor with bags of pump, depth and character then look no further.
Pro Tools Expert
I thought it would be interesting to compare the plug-ins to the hardware they emulate. To be honest, I was not expecting them to be that close in sound, but I was in for a surprise...I was kind of blown away at how alike they sounded after trying several different settings on each processor.
I can testify that the Eventide Omnipressor plug is a faithful duplication of the original hardware unit that we had at AIR Studios 214 Oxford St London. Not many engineers used it because it had too many knobs but I loved it because it could do weird and wonderful things.
|AAX 32/64-bit, VST2 32/64-bit
|AAX 64-bit, AU 64-bit, VST2 64-bit